Sunday, September 20, 2009

Daddy breakfast

File this away for the future - well for Kristen maybe it's soon. I loved loved loved reading this in the article about our new apostle Neil Andersen. One of his daughters says, "Daddy always made time for his children. For example, he took each one individually to breakfast with him once a month. He let us pick the place for breakfast and the topics we would talk about. We looked so forward to having his undivided attention."
It seems like I've heard of this done other ways too where each child gets to spend a certain time alone with mom and then alone with dad (actually on a calendar that they can see and count on). And they can pick from a list of things to do.... play a game, take a walk, have lunch, go skating etc. At first this would just be fun - but would have huge dividends later.

2 comments:

  1. I read that too and thought what a good idea it was. Planning on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend tell me she knew a family that each child had a set day each month they had the night out with dad... the day was decided by their birthday.. like Gavin's birthday is on the 19th.. so every 19th of the month he would get to spend time with just his dad. I LOVE this idea.. I was just telling Devin about it 2 mights ago!

    ReplyDelete