"I'm glad this baby is coming soon because it gives me something to prepare for and gear up toward. I'm due in 5 weeks. Those last few weeks with Kristen were forever so I'm really trying this time not to get over anxious or I'll drive myself bananas."
June 8, 1980
"3 more weeks till this baby is due but I really don't feel like it's any closer. I'll probably be 2 weeks late again which will make it clear into July - forever . I wouldn't mind if I could just sleep better at night. I get up and walk around 3 or 4 times a night to either go to the bathroom , walk a cramp out of my leg or relieve the pressure of sleeping on one side too long.
I'm not looking forward to this week at all. Mark's going to be up in Yosemite Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday with the mutual kids and down in Irvine for his brother Chris's graduation Friday and Saturday. I'm going to go stir crazy - I know it. I really don't like being by myself here even for a night - and this will be all week. I hope I can stay busy enough. I'm really not a very patient mother when I'm lonely and bored."
Aug 6, 1980
"Well, Amy was finally born July 5th, 1980, It took longer than I thought it would - 18 hours- but the actual delivery was a lot easier and faster than last time with Kristen. The morning of the 4th of July we got up and started canning apricots, then we were going to go spend the afternoon at Pikes and have dinner. I was having some contractions so I let Mark and Jon get going on the canning and I sat and watched. Once I could tell my contractions were getting regular and I started bleeding a little I knew I was on my way. I was so glad. I timed contractions all morning while they canned and called the doctor - Margie, my midwife said to come in when they got down to 7 minutes apart. They were from 4-12 min. apart. About 1:00 we took Kristen over to Pikes to stay and I went with Mark to a business appointment. By the time he got back out to the car, I was timing 4-5 minutes apart so we decided to go to the hospital. We were laughing because we really weren't nervous about it at all. We stopped on the way so Mark could get McDonalds to eat and then we took the car through the car wash. We got there at 3:30 and they checked me and said I was only dilated to about 3. They said it would be better not to admit me because once you're admitted you pay by the hour, so they said to go walk around the hospital or something till 5:00. So we went down to the cafeteria and I got some pop and jello. That's all I was allowed to have and I was starving. And I was mad. Things were taking so long. When they checked me at 5:00 I'd progressed but not far. They said I could probably even go home for awhile. So we drove back to Pikes and sat there and talked and watched TV. Mark ate dinner and I had my 7 up. We walked outside to see if we could see a few fireworks and then we played some TV games. My contractions had lengthened to 8 -10 minutes and I was getting more furious with myself by the minute. I'd sit awhile and then pace up and down awhile. Mark took me in the other room and gave me a blessing. And we kept waiting. I was so afraid everything might just slow down and stop.
Finally at 10:00 the contractions got stronger and closer. So off we went to the hospital and they admitted me. 11:30 my water broke and the contractions really got strong. We decided though that we just weren't going to get our 4th of July baby. Finally at 4:07 am we had Amy 7 Lb. 7 oz 20 1/2 inches. They let us stay together - all 3 of us for a long time and just get to know each other. It was hard though because Mark and I were so tired we could just barely keep our eyes open from being up all night. Mark finally took the baby down to the nursery and went home and they had me up in my room by 7 or so.
I just got settled when this nurse comes charging in saying it was time to get up and take a shower. I couldn't believe it. But she meant it. So I did - very slowly - but I did. And gee it felt good. I was so much stronger this time than with Kristen. Last time whenever I got up I fainted. This was Saturday morning and Mark and Jon and Kristen came and saw me that night and I came home Sunday morning.
Jan, my sister, flew in Sunday night and stayed to help me till Friday. That was nice - Jan I enjoyed each other and she was a lot of help. I got my strength back really fast. In fact I had a hard time forcing myself to rest. Seems like there's so much I need to do all the time."
How fun! I need to be better about writing about Gavin.
ReplyDelete